Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

G15 and G20 Irons Comparison

I have a low handicap (1.2) and have been a blade player all of my life. Last week, by cart partner had a G15 6 iron setting on the range. Just for kicks, I picked it up and hit a few shots. Other than the obvious difference if appearance, I was absolutely shocked how well I hit the irons. I had never considered a GI or SGI set, but these seemed different. I played two rounds with the G15's and never missed a shot (however I did make some odds swings that still resulted if very good shots). I asked my club pro to see if he could get me a demo set of G20 irons. After a few minutes of laughing at me, he called in a favor to the local Ping rep and a day later I had the demo set to test. I hit the Ping G20 Irons today on the range for about two hours. Here are my thoughts:

- The G15 had AWT shafts and the G20 irons have CFS shafts. It's too bad I was not able to compare the heads with identical shafts.
- Ball Flight: Very similar, but the ping g20 irons seem just slightly lower. They still launch high - maybe a degree different.
- Length: Both the g15 and g20 irons are crazy long. When I tried to step on a shot, my 8 irons were consistently going 175 - A good 12 yards longer than my current set of blades.
- Feel: No matter where I hit the ball on the club face, the fee seemed consistent and good. You definitely don't receive feedback anywhere close to a forged club. However, if the ball flight is so consistent, who cares.

I am a little scared how much I liked the G series (15 & 20). If you didn't let me look at the graphics, I am not sure I would be able to tell a difference between the 15's and 20's. Ping really seems to have a winner with these clubs. I can't believe I am really considering getting fit for these. The two sub-par rounds with the 15's are making the decision much easier.



No comments:

Post a Comment