Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Begin With G20 Irons

I’m using ping g20 irons now. Firstly, please allow me to show you my information.

I am a 23 handicap, and have only recently started breaking into the 90's. I told myself I'd get a set of clubs fitted as soon as I started hitting the 90's, so I started looking for sets mid-July. Finally I found the G20 irons to be beautiful clubs, and right in my range of skill and price.

My clubs have been fitted. The static fitting said I was a green, and we ended up at white, + 1/2" in length, and standard white grips on the stiff shafts. I ordered the 4 through PW as well as the U, and I had the U moved to 49* from 50* to better suit the other wedges in my bag (53 and 58's from Scratch).

I was so excited to finally hit consistently down the line with a great ball flight. Errors in my swing aside, the ping g20 irons performed beautifully and felt amazingly better than the TM Supersteel's that I'd gotten passed down to me from a golf buddy. Flat out, I was sold on Ping right there. And that's even after I was sold on them based on their company history and goals.

I found Ping G20 Irons are smooth even on miss hits.  I hit every club from the U through 4, and on getting used to them (and the swing, and the grip changes that I've been practicing indoors), I was putting balls down the middle, with a few errant slices here or there (again, miss hits).

This is my feeling about these irons. Soft like butter, smooth like babies behind. MIs-hits are noticed, but not shocking. Hitting it fat doesn't hurt my wrists - in fact, it's similar hitting out of a well-kept sand trap. And this is on dry - but well kept - grass with Texas soil under it. I won't be looking to play these deep into the ground at the muni's, but I won't be concerned about trying to get the perfect divot now either. I could go for some of the Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips, though, as I had gotten used to those on my set of SuperSteels.



No comments:

Post a Comment